I did it: I actually went three whole weeks without coffee! And I mean no decaf coffee, nor any caffeine from products other than green tea. I set out to do this for a couple reasons, mainly to regain a natural state of balance and energy, and to also try to improve my blasted eye twitch I’ve had since December. (You can read more about that here.)
Now that I’ve conquered 21 days without it, here’s what I can say: I feel so, SO much better without coffee. The first three days were pretty terrible, and I can’t say that I’ve had no cravings for a warm mug of coffee in the mornings since I last had it, but I can testify that indeed I feel more energetic throughout the day without coffee than I do with it.
A few other results of my coffee cleanse:
- I sleep better. Meaning, I fall asleep pretty much as soon as my head hits the pillow, and I wake up much less groggy.
- I feel less anxious.
- I drink less booze, since I know I can’t rely on coffee to wake my ass up the next day.
- I eat better, because I start my day drinking something green instead of black.
- My eye twitching frequency has decreased immensely!
Without a doubt, the most significant thing that has helped me to get by without coffee has been starting my mornings with this rose water matcha smoothie. I have had one literally every single morning for the last three weeks, and I am still not sick of it! The rose water is ultra refreshing and can help mask the taste of the matcha’s earthy flavor if you’re not used to it. (Matcha, if you are not familiar, is essentially green tea powder, pictured above. You can learn more about its health benefits here). Plus, this smoothie packs protein (from the powder), a dose of healthy fats (from the avocado), fiber and iron (thanks to spinach), antioxidants (from the cacao and matcha), and a hint of sweetness thanks to the mango and coconut. It is my most favorite drink at the moment.
To make two 12 ounce rose water matcha smoothies or one big smoothie, you’ll need:
- Protein powder: Chocolate, one serving. I use Orgain’s Organic Protein Plant Based Powder in creamy chocolate fudge.
- Matcha (finely ground green tea leaves): 1 teaspoon. I’ve been using Jade Leaf Organic Japanese Matcha Green Tea Powder.
- Rose water: 2 teaspoons.
- Shredded coconut: 1 tablespoon.
- Avocado: 1/2 of one.
- Almond milk: Unsweetened, vanilla preferred. 1 cup.
- Fresh spinach: Two handfuls.
- Cacao nibs: 2 teaspoons. I love Vita Labs Organic Raw Cacao Nibs.
- Fresh or frozen mango chunks: 1 cup.
- Stevia or sweetener: 2 teaspoons (optional).
- Place all of your ingredients in the blender based on the order they are listed above.
- Add one cup of ice cubes to the blender (on top of all the ingredients).
- Blend on high speed for about 30 seconds until well blended.
- For a thicker smoothie, add more ice. For a thinner smoothie, add some water until your desired consistency is reached.
- Pour in (a) cup(s) and sprinkle some shredded coconut on top. Enjoy immediately!
If you try this recipe, let us know what you think in the comments!